Apparently Friday night has turned into experiencing some new dessert recipes in my household. My household consists of two amazing little munchkins who just love to sit and watch me / beg for a snack while I’m baking.
Tonight I decided to make my version of puffed quinoa squares. Since they had to freeze overnight and I didn’t want to post a recipe until I knew they were absolutely delish I decided to make some dates with sunflower butter. SUPER easy and totally satisfied my sweet tooth.
Ingredients: handful of medijool dates + nut butter of choice (I opted for sunflower butter this evening)
Recipe: cut slit down each date and add about 1 tablespoon of nut butter. Serve with a class of milk of choice and enjoy!
Health benefits of dates:
1. Promotes digestive health (contains both soluble and insoluble fiber; helps prevent constipation).
2. Boosts heart health as well as may reduce blood pressure and decrease the risk of stroke.
3. Anti-inflammatory (rich in magnesium).
4. Boosts brain health (contains vitamin B6).
Health benefits of sunflower butter:
1. Contains more vitamin E, fiber and magnesium than other nut butters.
2. Lower in sodium and saturated fat than some other nut butters.
3. Sunflower seed butter contain higher quantities of B-vitamins, minerals, and monounsaturated fats.
Will keep you posted on how my puffed quinoa bars turn out in the morning in Healthy Desserts, part two!
Be happy and live well,
Alyssa D. Ferguson, RD, LD, CNSC