Pumpkin Pie Calorie Facts:
· Store-bought pumpkin pie: About 260-290 calories per slice
· Use a traditional pie crust in place of ginger snaps for this recipe: Increase from 165 calories to 220 calories per slice
· Use 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda in place of 1/2 cup sugar for this recipe: Decrease from 165 to 150 calories per slice
· Cut this pie in 6 instead of 8: Increase to 202 calories per slice
· Cut this pie in 10 instead of 8: Decrease to 120 calories per slice
The Best Light Pumpkin Pie
This pumpkin pie saves 100 calories per slice from the traditional version and it tastes identical!
1 cup ginger snaps (about 16 cookies)
16 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (1.25 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves)
12 oz can evaporated skim milk
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grind the cookies in a food processor. Lightly spray a 9″ glass pie pan with vegetable cooking spray. Pat the cookie crumbs into the bottom of the pan evenly. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Pour into the crust and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.
Allow to cool and slice in 8 wedges. Optional: serve each wedge with fat free whipped cream.
Serves 8. Each slice: 165 calories, 1.5 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic exchange: 2 bread.
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.