Here at I Live Well Nutrition in Austin, Texas we love eating a variety of fruits and veggies!
A great way to bring some excitement to produce shopping is buying local, in season fruits and veggies.
Buying in-season produce:
- Can be a great way to support your local economy.
- Makes your taste buds happy. In-season produces often tastes better and is at its peak ripeness when you buy it.
- Supports the environment. Buying foods that are in-season in your region also means you are buying foods that had less transportation, irradiation, and refrigeration saving energy and reducing carbon emissions.
- Can inspire us to try new fruits and vegetables overall increasing variety in our diet.
What’s in season during the month of August here in Texas?
Tomatoes Hot Peppers Sweet Peppers Summer Squash
Corn Green Beans Peas Sweet Potatoes
Turnips Carrots Eggplant Onions
Baby Arugula Red Potatoes Figs Melons
Watermelon Peaches Figs
You can find many of these at your local farmer’s market. A few markets in the Austin area include:
- SFC Farmer’s Market Downtown Austin-Republic Square, 422 Guadalupe St, 78701
- SFC FARMERS’ Farmers’ Market at Sunset Valley – Toney Burger Center, 3200 Jones Road , 78745
- Texas Farmer’s Market at Mueller-209 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78722
- HOPE Farmer’s market -412 Comal St, Austin, TX 78702
- Texas Farmers Market at Lakeline-11200 Lakeline Mall Dr, Cedar Park, TX 78613
- Barton Creek Farmers Market-2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy, Austin, TX 78746
To learn more about living a healthy lifestyle, make an appointment with one of our registered dietitians at I Live Well Nutrition today!
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for more nutrition tips!
By Zoe Halbert
About Zoe Halbert– Zoe is a registered dietitian, licensed in Austin Texas who is passionate about helping people create healthy relationships with food and body. She focuses on intuitive eating with a non-diet and practices from the health at every size (HAES) approach when working with clients.
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.