Like afternoon naps and chocolate milk at lunch time, we grew out of snack time. We where taught not to ruin our appetite for supper or expand our waistline by mid meal munchies. But enduring to dinner is not going to get you on the good behavior list. Snacking between meals is actually and ingenious move and here are the basic principles on how and why to get started.
- Keep your metabolism burning
- Just like a camp fire your metabolism like to burn. Let’s say you are making a camp fire and the flame slowly starts to dwindle, what do you put on the fire to keep it up? A huge wood log or a little kindling? Throwing a little kindling on the fire every so often keeps that fire roaring, just like with your body, eating every 2-3 hours keep your metabolism cooking. Research suggests that eating about 3 meals and two snacks a day can help your metabolism be for efficient.
- Slows down mealtime
- Have you ever come home from a long day at work and your tummy is growling and making the most awful noises. As soon as you come in the house you find yourself with your hands half way through a chip bag and two cookies down while you are planning out what to have for dinner. Have a mid-afternoon snack around 3 or 4 pm when you feel that energy dip could prevent that after work chip comma. Snacks should be around 100-200 calories filled with protein and fiber. One good choice would be a piece of fruit and string cheese, or low fat cottage cheese with some berries.
- Getting in all you need
- I have clients come in and see me all the time telling me that their metabolism is broken or nonexistent, and they will never be able to lose weight. Your metabolism is a reaction or a process of reactions, and every reaction in your body starts with some vitamin or mineral. When we are missing one piece of that reaction process of course it is not going to function properly or at its top speed. Snacks are a great way to get in vitamins and minerals. Almonds help you reach your needs for calcium.
- Mood booster
- When your blood sugar drops you can become irritable and have a hard time concentrating. Have a snack or meal every 2-3 hours can help keep your cognition and mood even all day.
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.