The Texas Summer has finally hit and nothing tastes more satisfying than sinking your teeth into a piece of watermelon. Not only is watermelon back in season, but the sweet fruit packs a serious nutrition punch.
Watermelon is high in Lycopene, which is a carotenoid that fights off free radicals in the body. Lycopene has been shown to protect the body against cardiovascular disease, strokes, high cholesterol, and osteoporosis.
Not only that, watermelon has high amounts of antioxidants, vitamin C, and vitamin A. One serving of watermelon has 21% of your daily vitamin C and 18% of your vitamin A.
Eating watermelon this summer will help keep you hydrated and full of nutrients. Here’s a delicious recipe to use for your next summer gathering with friends.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Toss spinach, green onion, and mint into a large bowl
- Combine the lime juice and olive oil together and then add to the large bowl
- Add watermelon and feta cheese on top and gently mix together
- Serve immediately