What should go through you mind before you go grocery shopping?
Do you ever get hung up about what to buy when you go grocery shopping? Never fear, we’ve curated a list of food items to look for based on food group.
Here are some ideas to keep in mind before you head to the store…
- Reference this list of fruits and vegetables that are in season. The nutrients will be more bioavailable and produce items in season are usually cheaper too!
- When you choose whole grains as a major source of carbs, you’re adding great stuff to your body! Whole grains tend to have more fiber, which aids in digestive health and can also help lower cholesterol.
- The American Heart Health Association recommends getting two servings of a fish per week in your diet. Omega 3s are known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and lower triglyceride levels.
- Adding yogurt to your cart is a great potential breakfast item. We love plain yogurt that you can spruce up by adding fresh fruits, granola, and a dap of honey. Check out this website for other recipe ideas.
- Read labels while you’re in the grocery aisles! Take the extra time to read the ingredients and the nutrition panel; know what you’re putting in your body! Sometimes you might be more inclined not to purchase an item after seeing what all goes in to the product you’re about to buy.
What to buy…
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.