Pumpkin Pie Calorie Facts:
· Store-bought pumpkin pie: About 260-290 calories per slice
· Use a traditional pie crust in place of ginger snaps for this recipe: Increase from 165 calories to 220 calories per slice
· Use 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda in place of 1/2 cup sugar for this recipe: Decrease from 165 to 150 calories per slice
· Cut this pie in 6 instead of 8: Increase to 202 calories per slice
· Cut this pie in 10 instead of 8: Decrease to 120 calories per slice
The Best Light Pumpkin Pie
This pumpkin pie saves 100 calories per slice from the traditional version and it tastes identical!
1 cup ginger snaps (about 16 cookies)
16 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (1.25 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves)
12 oz can evaporated skim milk
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grind the cookies in a food processor. Lightly spray a 9″ glass pie pan with vegetable cooking spray. Pat the cookie crumbs into the bottom of the pan evenly. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Pour into the crust and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.
Allow to cool and slice in 8 wedges. Optional: serve each wedge with fat free whipped cream.
Serves 8. Each slice: 165 calories, 1.5 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic exchange: 2 bread.