SunButter Lentil Soup
Start to finish: About 5 hours, including refrigeration time
Makes: 4 servings
Ingredients for Sunbutter Lentil Soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (see Notes below)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked brown or green lentils (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup SunButter Natural Crunch
- 4 cups packed chopped greens, such as swiss chard or kale
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Salt, if needed
For the curry powder, you may need less depending on its intensity. Start withaddining half the amount if you’re sensitive to spice, then add more at the end of cooking. If you are using canned lentil s, drain and rinse before using.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato to the mixture. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, coriander, and ginger to the vegetable mixture. Cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the broth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer on medium-low heat, cover, and let cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lentils, SunButter, and greens to the mixture. Cook until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice vinegar.
- Adjust seasonings and add salt to taste (you may not need salt if you used regular-sodium broth). Serve warm!
This can be found here!
Recipe by Laurie Sadowski
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.