Servings: 8-10 Time: 1.25- 1.5 hrs
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (about 2 to 3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and garlic; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so that tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Lightly coat Brussels sprouts with nonstick cooking spray. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Arrange Brussels sprouts around roast in roasting pan.
- Roast 425°F oven for 40 to 50 minutes for medium rare; 50 to 60 minutes for medium doneness. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare, 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium.) Brussels sprouts should be crisp around the edges and tender. Carve roast into slices. Serve with Brussels sprouts.
Nutrition information per serving, 8 servings: 205 calories; 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 511 mg sodium; 11 g carbohydrate; 4.4 g fiber; 27 g protein; 7.4 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 28.2 mcg selenium; 4.7 mg zinc; 108.5 mg choline.
Adrien Paczosa is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian practicing in Austin, Texas and the surrounding counties.
She is the owner and founder of I Live Well Nutrition her Dietitian practice which started in 2007 and serves clients in the Austin, Texas area in two locations. Fearless Practitioners, the division of her business that offers training to dietitians and wellness professionals.